Affordable carbon monoxide detectors have been available since 1993. Manufacturers offer a wide range of sensors, alarms, detectors, and controls for specific applications. Hundreds of people die annually as a result of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning in North America. Knowing the facts can reduce the number of these accidents and save lives. Carbon monoxide detectors send out an alarm signal to homeowners when carbon monoxide levels reach dangerous levels.
What is Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless and toxic gas. It is produced by incomplete combustion of fossil fuels such as coal, natural gas or propane, charcoal, wood and gasoline. Any fuel-burning appliance, vehicle, tool or other device has the potential to produce dangerous levels of carbon monoxide gas. In the home, carbon monoxide-producing devices include: fuel fired furnaces, gas water heaters, space heaters, gas or wood stoves and gas dryers. The problem of malfunctioning equipment is often aggravated by improvements in building construction which limit the amount of fresh air flowing in homes and other structures.
WHAT ARE THE DANGERS?
Carbon monoxide poisoning associated with using fuel-burning appliances kills more than 200 people each year and sends about 10,000 to hospital emergency rooms for treatment. High concentrations of carbon monoxide can kill in less than five minutes. The Center for Disease Control states that carbon monoxide kills more people than any other cause in the home.