Is Radon is your home?
Radon is a radioactive gas that is colourless, odourless and tasteless. Radon comes from natural sources. It is a by-product formed when uranium decays. Uranium is found in small amounts in most types of soil and rock. The radon gas itself is not a problem, but it’s decay products are. The radioactive decay products are particles which can attach themselves to lung tissue when radon gas is inhaled.
Radon gas moves easily through loose soil and eventually reaches the surface. If radon emerges from the ground in an open area, the wind quickly disperses it. However, if it enters a building through openings in the foundation, it can accumulate, reaching levels that are 5 to 10 times higher than those outdoors.